Spring Security Spruce-Up
A home burglary is terrifying. It can leave you frustrated, angry, scared, and sad. It’s a good habit to periodically examine your home, routines, and security to prevent these break-ins from happening.
Begin by asking yourself these questions:
- Can anything expensive be seen through the windows?
- Could a burglar hide in your bushes?
- Is your house well-lit at night?
- Do people in the home have routines that make it easy to figure out when the best time is to break in?
Here are some great tips to deter burglars:
- Keep doors (including the garage) and windows locked
- Turn on exterior lights, especially those near points of entry, at night
- Trim bushes and hedges to 3’ or shorter to eliminate hiding spots
- Place timed floodlights in tall trees
- Gravel is loud when you step on it. Place it near windows.
- Use motion-activated lights to not only startle the burglar, but also to increase visibility
- Put expensive bikes, grills, and other items in the garage and out of site
- Install an alarm system
- Apply opaque material to garage windows, so no one can see in
- Keep your car locked in the driveway