Every day, police, fire, and emergency medical personnel come to the aid of others. They respond to individuals, families, businesses, and communities in need and face unpredictable situations to help others. The environments that these workers encounter may be explosive, smoky, dangerous, messy, or violent. It's important that they don't put their safety at risk while performing their duties. Preparing for the scene and having the right equipment and supplies is crucial to their success as they manage these often chaotic events.
On-the-Scene Safety Tips
When you get on the scene, keep these six guidelines in mind.
- Communicate regularly with both victims and members of your team
- Maintain awareness of your surroundings
- Assess the scene as you approach and upon arrival
- Use your safety equipment
- Use care when lifting people and heavy objects or equipment
- Ensure adequate lighting is available