Stand Up 4 Grain Safety Week Offers Free Webinars
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Grain Handling Safety Coalition, Grain Elevator and Processing Society, and National Grain and Feed Association present Stand Up 4 Grain Safety Week from March 29-April 2.
This year’s event will feature live safety demonstrations and success stories. Free virtual webinars will focus on near-miss reporting, the impact of quality on safety, bin safety, and developing emergency safety plans. You can register here.
“Stand up 4 Grain Safety Week will bring industry professionals together to focus on how small changes can eliminate dangerous hazards that can cause great harm to their employees,” Jim Frederick, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Occupational Safety and Health said. “This important collaboration will strengthen our coalition of agribusiness and safety professionals, and reinforce our shared commitment to safety and training.”
Organizers have identified seven critical steps for grain safety:
- Turn off/lockout equipment before entering a bin or performing maintenance.
- Never walk down grain to make it flow.
- Test the air in the bin before entering.
- Use a safety harness and anchored lifeline.
- Place a trained observer outside of the bin, in case of an emergency.
- Do not enter a bin where grain is built up on the side.
- Control the accumulation of grain dust through housekeeping.