National Work Zone Awareness Week
Safety is always important on our roadways, for both motorists and road crews. With road construction work increasing this time of year, drivers should pay extra attention in these areas.
“Drive Safe. Work Safe. Save Lives” is the 2021 theme for National Work Zone Awareness Week (NWZAW), taking place April 26-30. This annual event takes place at the beginning of construction season, encouraging drivers to use extra caution in work zones. The following actions reduce accidents:
- Reduce speed in work zones
- Follow all posted signs and instructions from flagger personnel
- Give workers extra room
- Be prepared to stop
Some of the events planned are:
- Work Zone Safety Training Day: companies are encouraged to pause during the workday for safety demonstrations, discussions about safety policies, and other preventive actions.
- National Stand-Down to Prevent Struct-by Incidents: industry professionals will discuss measures to prevent injuries and deaths from vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Go Orange Day: roadway safety professionals will wear orange to show support for work zone safety.