Northern Safety & Industrial
Ladder Safety Guidelines
Each year, more than 300 people die from ladder-related accidents, while thousands more endure pain, disability, and long recovery time from their injuries. The American Ladder Institute (ALI) offers these tips to properly use ladders.
- Use the right ladder for the job.
- Face the ladder when climbing, and never skip steps.
- The base of the ladder should be safely secured to prevent accidental movement inside or out.
- Maintain three points of contact when ascending and descending.
- Keep your center of gravity and body between the side rails. If you can’t reach the spot you need, don’t lean your body toward it.
- Climb down and move the ladder.
- Don’t hold anything in your hands when ascending or descending.
- Only one person is allowed to be on a ladder at one time, unless the ladder is built for such use.